The History Behind BCFO
In May 1999, Breast Cancer Foundation of the Ozarks was established to provide help and hope to local families impacted by breast cancer. The first contribution was made by BCFO founder, Mary Beth O’Reilly, and matched by Kristen’s surgeon, Joni Scott, MD, in tribute to all the patients Dr. Scott has treated for breast cancer. Other breast cancer survivors and friends of Kristen have made donations in her memory as well. Breast Cancer Foundation of the Ozarks incorporated on February 23, 2000 and received not-for-profit status the following year.
Education on a variety of issues is an emphasis for BCFO because of situations like Kristen’s. She sought medical attention for a lump in her breast a year prior to her diagnosis and was told she was too young for breast cancer. Because of this and similar situations, there is a need to focus education on those under 40 as well as those over 40.
Mission & Goals
Breast Cancer Foundation of the Ozarks provides resources and support for local individuals and families impacted by breast cancer.
- Establish a charitable fund to meet needs of individuals with breast cancer and their families;
- Advocate for issues not currently focused on by other area resources;
- Provide information for accessing second opinions;
- Promote breast cancer awareness for those under 40;
- Increase awareness of treatment options and resources for all stages of breast cancer;
- Provide information not included in current breast health promotion.
BCFO also works to meet the special needs of children within families affected by breast cancer, recognizing the fact that breast cancer is a family disease. In 2008 alone, 42 children in families impacted by breast cancer received assistance through the Children’s Fund.
Assistance is tailored to each unique situation. In the past, BCFO has provided assistance in the following ways:
- Assistance in paying for orthodontic treatment initiated prior to the diagnosis
of family member with breast cancer
- Birthday or holiday gifts
- School supplies
- Child care
- Infant supplies
- Additional assistance with utilities
Murney Associates, Realtors is a proud supporter of BCFO and donates time and money to help the families in the community who are affected by breast cancer.